Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Literary corner with Spark of Life

My favorite part of the holidays is that I get to catch up on reading.

Girl With a Pearl Earring, Lullabye, Invisible Monsters, Citizen Girl

"Citizen" was not as original or witty as "Nanny Diaries."

I've discovered that Chuck Palahniuk is one of my new favorite authors.

I'd been meaning to read "Girl With a Pearl Earring" for a while. Good stuff, that. It took about 60 pages to really get into, and I wasn't too thrilled about the style. Very short sentences (which was probably meant to be expressionistic - the girl wasn't educated) and art metaphors (which are all good and well, as it's a novel about a painting, but it got a bit gimmicky after a while). But the story was great.

Watched the film version. Was very different than the book, and went in a completely different direction than I would have taken it (*laced with sarcasm* because we all know that I am a directorial genius), but I still really enjoyed it. Didn't have many good extras, though.

Colin Firth is seriously coming this close to replacing David Hyde Pierce. But Firth is married. I don't know if that's easier to get around than being gay.......

2 Comments:

Blogger A-funk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 AM  
Blogger A-funk said...

At your suggestion, I have a blog now. occasionallyclever.blogspot.com is it's name and cynicism might just be its game. At least intermittently... and of course at all times in between there.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home